Ouri → Portuguese.
|First Description: António |
|Other Names: Huri, Ourim,|
Òrè, Ori, Ôrim, Ourim, Uri,
Uril, Urim, Urinca
|Sowing: Single laps|
|Region: Cape Verde|
Ouri is a close variant of Oware, which is played on Cape Verde and by Cape Verdean migrants in Angola, Portugal and the USA.
The game is shown in many works of Manuel Figueira, a well-known artist from Sao Vicente, and numerous other contemporary painters who were born in Cape Verde.
The rules are similar to Oware.
- Singletons can only be moved, if the player has only singletons left in his holes.
- A Grand Slam (a move which captures all of your opponent's seeds in one turn) is permitted. After that the player moves again and must feed his opponent.
Ouri in America
I used to watch them play when I was a kid. They used seeds. I remember watching this man when I was a little girl. He was from Praia. He must have brought the game with him to the house because everytime he got ready to go home, he'd put the board under his arm to take home. I used to like to play with the little seeds but I'd get a slap on the hand. I learned to play though, by watching."
Interview with Julia Cabral, 16 Oct. 1985
- Ouri (Brava)
- Jogo de Uril by Manuel Figueira
- Mon D Urim by Kiki Lima
- Jogando o Ouril by David Levy Lima
- Banca d'Uril by Edith Borges
- Projecto Ouri (rules, photos, tournaments, applets)
- Paintings of Cape Verdean artists showing Ouri
- A mural between Mindelo city and Baía das Gatas (São Vicente) by Bitú Alves
- Carreira, A.
- Mandingas da Guiné Portuguesa: Publicação Comemorativa do V Centenário da Descoberta da Guiné. Centro de Estudos da Guiné Portuguesa, Lisbon (Portugal) 1947, 216.
- DeAraujo, C. G.
- Bean Counters: Cape Verdean Game Requires Logic, Math. In: The Standard-Times 31th January, 1999.
- Fraga, A. & Santos, T.
- Ouri, um Jogo Mancala. In: Educação e Matemática. 2004; 76 (1): 9-11.
- Graça, A.
- Jogo de Oril: Regras, Estratégias e Teorias. Edição da ONDS (Organização Nacional da Diáspora Solidária), Mindelo (Cabo Verde) 1998.
- Halter, M.
- Between Race and Ethnicity: Cape Verdean American Immigrants, 1860-1965. University of Illlinois Press, Chicago IL (USA) 1993, 154.
- Miranda, N. de
- Compreensão de Cabo Verde. Junta de Investigaçãoes do Ultramar, Lisbon (Portugal) 1963, 48.
- Nogueira, G.
- Ouril: Douze Boca Quarenta e Oit Dent. In: Novo Jornal Cabo Verde 1994; ano 1, n° 96: 8.
- Santos Silva, E.
- O Ouri: Um Jogo Caboverdiano e a Sua Prática em Portugal. Associação de Professores de Matemática, Lisbon (Portugal) 1994.